- See Zone 7's new tri-fold flood preparedness brochure by clicking here.
- Remove any dead trees or brush.
- Keep all storm drains, roof gutters, pipes, downspouts, driveway culverts and drainage ditches free of debris.
Ensure your drainage is directed toward the street's stormdrain system.
If gutters are filling, use a rake, broom or shovel to remove debris from the storm drain opening, being sure to leave the grate in place.
Landscaping is the best protection against slides. If your home is on a bare-soil hillside, you can protect it by punching straw into the soil with a shovel, or securing sheets of woven burlap with stakes. Correct any cracking or slippage as soon as possible. Directing drainage downslope onto bare soil can cause slope instability.
Keep your car fueled and disaster supplies handy.
For flood insurance information, call your insurance agent or the National Flood Insurance Program (1-800-638-6620).
- The San Francisco Chronicle had a recent article noting that Federal Emergency Management Agency is encouraging Californians buy flood insurance before El Niño hits, even if they live in low- to moderate-risk areas where it is not federally required. For more information, click here.
Check out the state Department of Water Resources website, California Flood Preparedness.
To learn about typical Zone 7 flood preparedness activities, click here.
Who to Contact
For Zone 7 issues, call 925-454-5000 during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.). After hours, call 925-447-6704. Note that you may be referred to one of the agencies below, if appropriate. In an emergency, call 911.
- City of Pleasanton Operations Services
- City of Livermore Water Resources Division
- City of Dublin Public Works
- Alameda County Public Works
Where do I get sandbags?
Sandbags can be obtained from the following agencies. Be sure to bring a shovel!
- City of Dublin (24/7 to city residents and businesses), 925-833-6630
- Corporation Yard, 5600 Scarlett Ct., Dublin
- Public Safety Complex, 6363 Clark Ave., Dublin
- City of Livermore (24/7)
- Maintenance Service Center, 3500 Robertson Park Road, Livermore, 925-960-8020
- Fire Station #6, 4550 East Ave., Livermore
- Fire Station #8, 5750 Scenic Ave., Livermore
- City of Pleasanton Operations Service Center, 3333 Busch Road (M-F, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.), 925-931-5500
- Alameda County Public Works Road Maintenance Dept., 4825 Gleason Dr., Dublin (M-F, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.), 925-803-7007. If no answer, call Sheriff's Dispatch with emergency, 510-667-7721.
- Zone 7 Water Agency (no shovel needed)
- Administrative Building, 100 North Canyons Parkway, Livermore (24/7), 925-454-5000
- Patterson Pass Water Treatment Plant, 8750 Patterson Pass Road, Livermore, 925-447-6703
- Sunol Glen Elementary School, 11601 Main Street, Sunol
How do I fill and use sandbags?